My Favorite Chili Recipe I Call Serengeti
My Serengeti (Chili)
- 1 lb. ground elk burger
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 half green pepper chopped
- 1 table spoon of sesame oil
- 1 quarter teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Below are ingredients for varying the recipe
- 1 small yam (sweet potato) cut in 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup of water
- spices: basil, shaved fresh ginger, oregano, sage, fresh parsley, rosemary, and/or any other spices you prefer.
- pita bread or taco shell with spinach or lettuce and tomato
- green peppers and squash for stuffing
Heat oil in a cast iron skillet with the cayenne pepper then add elk burger being careful not to burn it, low heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until the onions are just getting soft.
- Take a small yam, sweet potato, and cut it into little cubes 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Add a 1/2 cup of water to skillet, add the yams and cover. after a few minutes add your favorite spices, basil, shaved fresh ginger, oregano, sage, fresh parsley, rosemary, and/or any other spices you prefer. simmer covered until the yams are soft, they slide off a fork. Turn off the heat. Take plate and cover it with fresh spinach the cover it the mixture in the skillet. Enjoy.
- The above without the yams and water is also good spooned into pita bread or taco shell with spinach or lettuce and diced tomato.
- There can be many variations. I experiment a lot. Stuff peppers, stuff squash. Sometimes I put eggs in the mixture and scramble them.
Submitted by Brian Fox